Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Popularity Contest

Popularity is defined as being regarded with great favor, approval, or affection especially by the general public. The root word, popular, originates from old French populeir, meaning “of the people”. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t desire this social distinction, including myself. But why is it that only a choice few ever make it there? What is it about some people that propel them to the top of the charts?

Popularity is a very big issue for teens, especially for girls it seems. Where teenage girls view themselves on the school’s social ladder may not only sway their future weight, but can certainly contribute to depression.

When you see the Jocks on the sports teams, and the cheerleaders, and their followings, you want to be a part of the social empire. These choice few often set the rules and boundaries for entering their group and being able to interact with the elite. Those who fail to fit the “mold” are excluded and considered “geeks.” Why?

The popular people also seem to find favor with the school administration and teachers. In our High School, we have a dress code. However, those with privilege are seldom forced to adhere to it. And while the rest of us are forced to do our assignments, the athletic stars are often exempt from them or are assigned help in order to pass the class. Why?

Earlier this year, I was approached by our school’s football quarterback. He tried to befriend me in order to get my help in passing his English class. At first I was overwhelmed at the possibility of being in the popular group and interacting with the “popular” crowd, as I am more of an intellectual geek, if you will.

Mr. Quarterback needed me to tutor him - without some help - he would probably flunk the class and be prohibited from playing on the team. He wanted me to spend my lunch period helping him as well as give up my other friends (as they were not the kind of people who fit into his crowd). And my reward for this? Being in his presence! He actually felt it was a privilege for a geek like me to have the opportunity to spend some time with the Great Quarterback and his followers.

As I began to weigh the pros and cons of it all, it seemed as if I was coming out on the short end. Despite his popularity and high place on the social structure, he has a very shallow personality, and there is a great divide in our moral ethics. It became clear to me that I would simply be a pawn in his game, and would be discarded after my usefulness had been fulfilled.

It didn’t take me long to decline his offer, much to his dismay! He seemed especially offended when I reminded him that our school had a learning center that was open for his use!

Soon after, I began tutoring an unlikely candidate instead; a young man who was considered a trouble maker by most and my teachers described as scary. I volunteered to help him with an essay, and he was very surprised that I didn’t find him repulsive or that I wasn’t afraid of him. We have become good friends, despite the principal and teachers who feel I should not be associating with his kind.

And the quarterback? He did find another candidate to help him, whom he used, dumped and devastated. (Really glad that wasn’t ME)

Sometimes I wish I had sight, mainly so I could see my Mom’s face. But most of the time, I feel that my lack of sight actually gives me greater insight into a person and who they really are. I am not limited to the external projection of a person, but can sense their inner being. I am not frightened away by their outward appearance: strange clothing or makeup, size or color and I am also not impressed by finery in dress nor stature. This allows me the unique opportunity to get to know people whom I would not have known otherwise.

Too bad everyone couldn’t put on a blindfold and see people for their inner quality instead of their outer appearance. Try it sometime -- you wouldn’t believe what you are missing!

0 comments: