Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday began originally as a time for repentance and the beginning of Lent (the 40 days before Easter). Ashes were used in ancient times, according to the Bible, to express penitence. Dusting oneself with ashes was the penitents way of expressing sorrow for sins and faults. Not all churches place ashes on one’s forehead, though some do as a sign of their sorrow and repentance…however there is another focus of this day!

Job 42:1-6: Then Job answered the LORD, “I know that you can do everything and that your plans are unstoppable. “You said, ‘Who is this that belittles my advice without having any knowledge about it?’ Yes, I have stated things I didn’t understand, things too mysterious for me to know. “You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak. I will ask you, and you will teach me.’ I had heard about you with my own ears, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. That is why I take back what I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show that I am sorry.”

Other examples are found in several other books of the Bible including, Numbers 19:9, 17, Hebrews 9:13, Jonah 3:6, Matthew 11:21, and Luke 10:13.

According to Job, his repentance started as he: (a) Talked with God (prayer) (b) Sought Answers (c) Realized his lack of rightness with God (repentance)

Ash Wednesday began as a time of repentance and preparation for Easter, for the celebration of life that Christ gave us during Easter. Though most more modern denominations and traditions have either failed to grasp the importance of this time of year or see it only as an excuse of religious pride and a contradiction to Jesus’ call to fast in private. The original Lenten season (the 40 days of lent) begins on Ash Wednesday and begins a time where we are supposed to focus on repentance, or removing specific areas of sin from our lives. Rather than simply fasting food (or chocolate) the focus is on a time of year we intentionally set aside to allow God to examine our lives and to repent.

Though for many this time is simply an act of religion or contrition it’s purpose is not duitful religious fasting, which is kicked off on (Mardi Gras/Fat Tues. ) by large amounts of gluttony, but it is meant to be a time of year where we search our own lives and allow God to point out areas that we need to repent of.

So rather than ignoring it as a whole, or making it into some religious fast where self is promoted, make this Wednesday and this Lent a time of passionate prayer, fervent seeking, and whole-hearted repentance!

0 comments: