Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wendy Wilson's new tune: Help me, 'Supernanny'

When Wendy Wilson's neighbor suggested she look into a casting call for ABC's "Supernanny," Wilson said she wasn't the slightest bit insulted.

"I said, 'No offense taken,'" Wilson told the Daily News. "I was definitely overwhelmed and there were a few questions in my mind on how to handle the older kids while dealing with infants. I did want some direction."

Wilson, of the multiplatinum trio Wilson Phillips, and her husband, Dan Knutson, have four children: Leo, 4; Beau, 3, and 6-week-old twins Will and Jesse. With the new babies in the house, the toddlers began to regress and both Wilson and Knutson were exhausted. Also, Wilson had a tour with sister Carnie planned and she worried about leaving her children for an extended period of time.

Though Wilson had seen a few episodes of "Supernanny" before allowing cameras into her home, she said she didn't know what to expect from the Supernanny herself, Jo Frost.

"I did not have any clue as to what her observation of us would be like, and that was part of the intrigue," said Wilson, who will be seen Wednesday night at 9 on ABC. "She definitely steered us into a better direction and gave us some great pointers. It was like a gift given to our family."

In the episode, Wilson admits that her parenting skills could be stricter but because of her liberal upbringing with father, Beach Boy Brian Wilson, she's a bit of a pushover.

"I really wasn't expecting to go into a therapy session," Wilson said of opening up about her father. "That part was a little bit difficult for me."

Since filming, Wilson says that she and Carnie did go on a small tour and that being away from her kids was "like torture" and "a little bit of a vacation," and that she and her husband have really latched on to some of the ideas that Frost brought into their home.

"Structure is a big one, and being prepared," said Wilson. "As well as trusting your instincts at all times, because they're usually dead-on."

Wilson and her family do plan to watch the show when it airs tomorrow, but "we're a little scared," said Wilson. "I think I'll have a blanket over my head."

And as for more children in her future?

"Absolutely not," Wilson said. "Four is plenty. I feel like right now, it's already really hard to give attention to all these children equally. Plus, the fact is I can't have more children because I had my tubes tied. That was it. I'm done."

1 comments:

Supernanny editor said...

Hi there,
Thanks for your blog on Supernanny. I wondered if you might be interested in checking out our website, www.supernanny.co.uk for advice, blogs, a forum and competitions all to do with parenting.....
Thanks a lot
Best wishes,
Sarah, Editor, Supernanny.co.uk